Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chili Lime Corn


I have a problem with this corn: I like it so much that I never make any other corn recipes. I know I should branch out, but every time I shuck an ear in the kitchen, it's like I enter into some kind of fugue. By the time I come to my senses, I've got corn silk in my hair and yet another batch of chili lime corn to eat.

There's an interesting article in the current issue of Vegetarian Times claiming that the sweet corn we eat by the earful is unrelated to the "field corn" responsible for the various corn-born evils we hear about like genetic modification, corn syrup refining and mono crop agriculture. I should still probably work on my corn problem, for personal if not environmental reasons. In the meantime, I'm passing my affliction on to you with this recipe. Beware/enjoy.

I ate a spinach salad on the side with shredded carrots and cucumber for a total of nine ingredients.

6-Ingredient Chili Lime Corn
Total Kitchen Time: 15 minutes. Serves 2.

2 ears fresh corn
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 sweet onion
1 Tbls. butter
chopped cilantro to garnish
juice from 1/2 a lime or more.

Free Spice Blend
1/2 tsp. chili powder
black pepper

Fry onions in butter on med-high heat until just translucent. Add corn and bell pepper and fry few more minutes, stirring regularly.

Add chili powder; fry one minute more.

Plate with a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro for garnish.

3 comments:

  1. This looks super yummy! I'm totally making this today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks pretty good to me, I think I'll be trying it as soon as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy it... stupid chili lime corn crack. Good thing it's fifteen cents an ear right now :)

    ReplyDelete